Thursday, January 28, 2016

A Note - Grayslake Writer and Photographer


I've had a few blood test and calls with the doctors office recently.  I'm doing great! I've always had to take extra care of my kidneys.  For my annual physical the doctor had me go in for some lab work.  A few days later the nurse called with the results.  Some of the news wasn't favorable but the doctor suggested that I may just need to drink a ton of water and that was an easy fix.  The nurse relayed the message to me and I was on it.  I've been drinking 100+ ounces of water every day since.  I went in for the second test.  A few days later the nurse called again.  This time the test results were perfect.

During this time, instead of mentally focusing on a poor me attitude (the poor me attitude is very easy to adopt) I intentionally focused on other things.  One of the thoughts I had was what a difficult job this nurse has to call patients and give them good or bad news.  I've seen the nurse before at the doctors office and she's always been a great nurse.  I decided to write her a thank you note it in part read:

"Thank you for being a great nurse.  You have the difficult job of calling people like me with test results.  Sometimes they are favorable but sometimes the results aren't.  I can imagine that it is a difficult job.  Please have a cup of coffee or tea on me.  I appreciate YOU!"


I was at the doctors office this morning and told I'd have to wait because the doctor was behind.  I saw the nurse getting some water so I gave her the note.  Next thing I know, I was called in to be seen and a different nurse took my vitals.  When she left the room, the nurse I handed the note to came into the room with her arms spread open giving me a big hug.  She said that no one ever says thank you to her, she had the biggest smile on her face.  We exchanged a real connection with one another, it was beautiful.
 
"Giving connects two people the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging in the world."

 
        


No comments:

Post a Comment