Sunday, March 27, 2011

Julieta Alvarez: Soaringbird Studios - Chicago Area Photographer

For this blog I wanted to highlight what Julieta Alvarez is doing for artists, photographers and the community. I am amazed as to how much one person can take on.


This last Friday I was very honored to have my work displayed at Julieta's studio: Soaringbird Studios (find it on FB). In talking to her I learned that as a photographer herself she felt that there was a lack of resources for artists to display and sell their work. Instead of throwing her hands up in the air, after doing her research, she decided to start her own gallery right in her living room. Every month she chooses a different theme and artists who are interested apply to have their work displayed.


Through her hard work and effort organizing she has developed a partnership with the Canale Art Lounge (find it on FB) to have artists display and sell their work there. The Canale Art Lounge is Chicago's first art lounge. They showcase an array of artists media including paintings, photography, sculptures, digital art, film and music.


Her work doesn't stop there. She is also very involved in the music aspect of artistry. She is the marketing manager for Ratio Enterprises. "Founded in 2004, RATIOnation.com is a production and artist management company in Chicago. With a heavy focus on new and independent music programming, RATIO has established itself as the true presenter of underground live performances and emerging artist promotion in both (but not limited to) Latin Alternative and Latin World music. Through a myriad of music and art based events, RATIO creates a unique and high-end environment that shows their dedication to attaining the ultimate music experience."


Julieta Alvarez is a pioneer and activist for artists, photographers and musicians. I am very proud and lucky to call her my friend.

I took this shot of her last summer:












Mark your calendars for May 13th 7:00pm at the Canale Art Lounge; 500 W. 18th Street, Chicago, 60616 where I will be displaying my work along with Julieta and other female artists.


Stop by my blog next Sunday night to view images from my first newborn session.

No comments:

Post a Comment