Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Yoga Effect - Grayslake Photographer and Journalist

This week I tried my first Yoga class.  I've always wanted to take a Yoga class.  It was not what I expected.  Breathing and stretching, how hard could it be? I thought.  Well it was very challenging. 

In boot camp style classes I've taken the instructor is barking out a command, the up beat motivational music is in the background,  the stomping of feet/quick movements.  Although these classes are brutal I never hesitated to go back.  Even when I had an instructor taunt me that it was too tough- "I wasn't coming back", he said.  Made me want to go back even more. 

In comparison, the Yoga instructor didn't speak above a whisper.  The music was very low and soothing in the background.  There were long periods of stillness and silence as she asked us to move with intention and purpose.  I found the voice in my head saying; "You can't do that stretch.  Your body can't do that.  You can't hold this pose any longer.  When is this class going to end, you can't finish it."  At the same time my muscles started shaking as my mind started to convince my body.  I barely finished the class.

The woman behind me must of have sensed the defeat I felt inside.  She asked me, "What did you think?"  I told her, "It was a lot tougher than I thought." She replied, "You did very well.  I thought you held your own."  I smiled at her and thanked her for her encouraging words. 

In the car I found myself saying, "You don't want to go back, do you?"

It's harder to overcome the negative voices within rather than those that come from outside.  Being aware of them is half the battle.  Being conscience that my Ego is afraid to fail makes me stronger. 


Ego, be ready for another battle next Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment